Thursday, June 10, 2010

Thinking Outside the Box...

It’s crucial to think outside the box as a teacher to ensure success for all students. I wholeheartedly embrace the concept that a good teacher plans. I know that failing to plan is a plan to fail. However, I was enlightened by the amazing achievements that Assistive/Adaptive Technology afforded the students in the Edutopia and YouTube videos shared by Dr. Cyrus in class on Tuesday, June 8, 2010.

On Guam, Assistive/Adaptive Technology (AT) also provides great progress for our students with special needs. The Guam Department Of Education (GDOE) Lesson Plan includes a portion for teachers to prepare and include Modifications/Accommodations for Special Education students in the classroom. I only have two school years under my “teacher’s” belt, but I have been fortunate enough to work with a few special-needs students. Here is what has worked for me, thus far.

After reviewing a student’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP) with his or her Consulting Resource Teacher (CRT), I’d make the necessary modifications and/or accommodations to my lesson plans. To date, I have found success in using one-to-one direct instruction along with simplified instructions. I am fortunate enough to have enough computers for all my students in my classroom. So in addition to the traditional pen and paper options, my students’ assignments may be submitted via e-mail or saved to a thumb drive. In addition to CRTs, I also involve my students’ parents to illicit support and provide an understanding of what the requirements are for any given assignment. Students and parents alike are given my cellular number and e-mail address in the event someone needs to reach me outside of school hours.

While the students I have had do not mirror the needs of Edutopia-featured students Lukas or Susanna, peer tutoring and/or cooperative learning groups (CLG) have been helpful in and out of my classroom, too. Setting up the right grouping of students has been and will be crucial to benefit all my learners. An example of a winning combination is when technology coupled with a CLG allowed a special-needs student to submit computer-generated artwork or a presentation piece that was orally presented by his partners to the class. The special-needs student worked the computer and multi-media projector for his team. All group members contributed to the project using their various strengths. Students were assessed based on a rubric for individual work as well as group work.

Evaluation of an assignment is dependent on a Special Education student’s IEP. Making modifications or accommodations to the lesson plan must be done on a case-by-case basis. Measuring success of an activity depends on whether or not a student was able to complete the objectives and tasks as assigned. I often survey my students on various assignments or activities throughout the year for input. Like most teachers, I’ve found success in some lesson plans and the need to revise instruction and activities in other situations. Alas, what’s good for the goose is not always good for the gander. Ultimately, thinking outside the box, building rapport with my students and involving parents is a great path to progress in and outside the classroom.

Reference:

assistiveware, (2007, May 30). One Thumb to Rule Them All [Video file]. Retrieved


from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BhHwk9

Ellis, K. (2005, February 2). Assistive –Technology: Enabling Dreams. Retrieved

June 10, 2010, from Edutopia.org website:

http://www.edutopia.org/assistive-technology-enabling-dreams-video

1 comment: